CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 6, 2008

They say that growing up is hard to do...

It has been a big weekend here at our house for Emily and Dallin.

For some reason I have never had children who are willing to sleep through the night during their first year. Dallin has not been any different. Meaning-- even though Dallin is almost 9 mo. old, as of a few days ago he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Well this weekend I was bound to change this crazy night time schedule. So we moved Dallin out of our room and into a full sized crib. And began the process of teaching him to sleep through the night. Our game plan was: evey time Dallin woke up Joe would go in and (without picking him up) rub Dallin's back and sooth him back to sleep. (I was afraid if I went in it would just make things worse.) Joe was Awsome! (Although I had to laugh every time he would say some thing like, "I'm so tired today." I wanted to say, "Try getting up 4 times a night for 9 months!:) Anyway, so far so good. Dallin only woke up once last night and when Joe went in to check on him Dallin went right back to sleep. I hope getting a full nights sleep will help us all be a little happier! Way to go Dallin!

As for Emily--Since Dallin took over her crib we moved her into a "big girl" bed and while we were at it we took away her "wow-wow".
For those of you who don't know what a wow-wow is let me explain. When Emily was first learning to talk, if she couldn't pronounce a certain word she would just make up a word that she could say. So the name for pacifier became "wow-wow". The name stuck and now at our house all pacifiers are called "wow-wow's".
I've been meaning to take her pacifier away for a while and there always seemed like an excuse to put it off. Anyway she's two now and well, it's time.
She has actually done pretty well too. She asks for it a few times a day. Especially when she is sad. But she is trying hard to be a big girl now and I have to say I am very proud of her.

Emily and Dallin on Emily's new "big girl bed".

8 comments:

Denise said...

Oh! I have to say that I think it might be harder on the parents than it is on the kids!!!

Crystal said...

We are going through such similar things as you are right now! Abby just moved out of the crib into her own big girl bed in her own room a few weeks ago. She likes it, but now she no longer sleeps through the night or very well like she did in the crib. and she's starting to refuse naps. She wakes us all up at all times yelling under the door. It's hard getting up with her AND the newborn.

We are also still in the binky battle with her. I told her just this morning that on her birthday, she will be a little girl and no longer a baby so she won't get to have it anymore. She's not too excited about that.

Cayden is moving out of our room into the crib this weekend. He's been napping in the crib for a month, but nights are still in the bassinet and it is getting harder and harder to sleep for both him and me.

Sleep is so hard with kids! My first had to be sleep trained at 11 months when I could no longer take it. My 2nd, we did it at 10 months, and with this 3rd little one, I am counting down the months till I feel like I can let him cry some.

Congrats on your developmental milestones. It's great when they reach them and you can begin to feel more human during the day because you've slept!

Melanie said...

Yeah Dallin!! That's how we did it with our boys and within a couple days, they had learned to soothe themselves back to sleep no problem! As for the wow-wow, great job too! Grant's 'broke' when he was 2 1/2. Our other kids didn't take them too well, although I wish they did!

Joe and Liz said...

Emily and Dallin are such cuties. I love the picture of those two together. Glad you're getting more sleep!! I had to laugh when you were talking about Joe being tired from getting up at night. My Joe has said the same thing!!

BlueSkies28 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BlueSkies28 said...

We are doing the big girl bed thing this week too! So far so good with Isabelle, but whats funny is in the morning she sits in there and calls me to come get her as if she were still in the crib..so funny!
That picture of Emily and Dallin is really cute! This must be the month for two year olds moving out of cribs or something.. :)

AmyJo said...

Go Emmy and Dallin! I love that pic too. Such cuties!!

Sammie said...

What big kids! I for one can't wait until the days of cribs and binkies are over. Props to you for tackling both jobs at once!