CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 29, 2009

Defining success

I have learned that certain experiences tend to change your perspective and expectations in life and how you determine whether the day is successful or not.
Yesterday started off like a normal day. Becky and JJ got off to school just fine and the little kids and I were getting ready to go on a little field trip to a local farm.
I was loading the car with diaper bags, water bottles, etc.
Dallin was standing in the doorway of our garage holding the door open when he lost his grip on the door and it closed behind him launching him off the narrow ledge, down the stairs onto the cement floor of our garage and knocking him unconscious. For about 30 seconds he wasn't breathing or responding. It felt like 10 min. to me! But like I said, after about a half a minute he started breathing shallowly and his eyes started to roll open, but he still was not responding to me like I wanted and I had a really hard time keeping him awake so I called 911. Weirdly enough by the time the truck showed up Dallin was fully conscious and starting to act normally. So the EMT's advised me to take him in to the pediatrician before taking him to the hospital. So we loaded up in the car and went to the doctor's office. The Doctor gave Dallin a thorough examination and told me she was positive he was fine but wanted him to have a C-T scan just in case. So we loaded up again and went to the hospital and Dallin had his first cat-scan. He was so good. I was amazed at how brave he was. I got to stand right next to him the whole time. He looked so tiny laying there on that big table. He didn't move a muscle during the scan. I was so relieved. I don't think I could have handled it if they had to strap him down. Everything turned out fine. There was nothing of concern on the scan and Dallin has been just fine ever since. (As a matter of fact he was back to his mischevious self that evening, making "toilet paper soup" in the toilet after his bath and peeing all over the floor before his second bath of the night! But I guess that's another story.)
Anyway, as long as there are no 911 calls or trips to the ER today I will consider the day a success. We'll keep our fingers crossed. ;)

2 comments:

Dad Walker said...

I'm sorry to tell you this, Jen, but I think this knock out thing is hereditary. My older brothers and sisters will tell you that their primary memory of me as a toddler is that I would fall (a lot -- you know all about that Walker coordination) and bump my head and go out like a light. Then they would breath in my mouth and revive me and I would be good to go again. That's what they remember me. And as far as long-term damage is concerned . . . well, you see the evidence of that. Sorry! It's genetic! It's my fault! Love you!

vjc said...

Scarey just reading about it.

Hi,from aunt Vickie!!